Cheers and a week long

Well, eventually it has been a week long with all the stuffs that has been planned by the University for new students. Around 5000 of us were enrolled into UPM this year with the number of girls in the University still higher than the guys, you bagged that. Even the Deputy Minister of information also stated this when he came for one of the ceramah session with us. Lucky to have him as the speaker, he is really an influential speaker as he can take the attention of the crowds with his words. Currently he is pursuing his PhD in UPM as well.
I don’t want to elaborate much on the orientation week as it was a long full week packed with lots of I supposed,’unneeded’ talk like money management that makes me fall asleep throughout the course. Hey, it was tiring orientation though. Compared with other Universities, I guess ours did the longest that is nine days in total. All I can say is …TIREDDDD.….. and lost my voice also, as we have to compete with the other 16 colleges with cheers especially during the big event when all the colleges meet.(for your information, we have 17 colleges in UPM) and guess what?? Our college is the only all guys college in UPM (besides college 11 which is an girls’ college). Nonetheless,It was a great experience to be part of the orientation, eventhough I’ve slept for most of the useless talks.hehe..i must admit that oh….
Anyway, I’ve found out that engineering faculty in UPM is a great place to be and it’s kind of new and the faculty has a very nice scenery. Ok, I will get you into picture, our faculty is built besides the Tasik Kejuruteraan with the management office is facing the lake (di tebingan tasik bah…) the building was completed in 2005,if everything goes well, the 2nd phase of development of the faculty will begin this year. At the end of the day, the lake will be surrounded with buildings of the engineering faculty. I will show you the pics once I’ve it. It’s a great pleasure to be here.
I started to like the way UPM emphasizes since last year in teaching the students. OBE (outcome-based Education) was introduced last year to replace the ever bored lectures to the interesting type where students will do research on their own and lectures as their guide. It gives you more opportunities to discover something new rather than the lecturers spoon feed us. So, in easy words, the students will do more talking than the lecturers. UPM is among the first( I think the one and only IPTA) to conduct this programme.
Finally comes to UPM as a general, throughout this few days of orientation, most speakers has eventually mentioned and mentioned again that UPM is one of the four IPTA in Malaysia that has been upgraded to research University. And they keep on telling us that UPM is the top 300 Universities in the world (to be exacts, it’s 292), and their aim for the next few years is to achieved the top 200 spots. Very ambitious and high spirit though. This really reminds me of Mr Peter Foo in St Thomas school who are ambitious towards developing the school.UPM is also ambitious in making its department to achieved the MS ISO 9001 as well. Most of the department has achieved it.
Once in University, the life is really different, and it’s different from matriculation as well. The whole university area is so big that there are lots of places that are yet to be discovered by me. Hopefully I can finish it. Anyway, moving on, sadly I only found few friends from matriculation friends here and only one from St Thomas which is my ex classmate. Mohd Hisham.By the way, my roommate is a Chinese from Sibu Sarawak and he is my brother as he finished his STPM so he is one year older than me…big Yay!!!.
Ok, I’ve started the day yesterday as an official University students by attending the lectures today, unfortunately our lecture didn’t attend or come into our first lecture, so I don’t have the opportunity to chat with him. Hey, he is my PA though (penasihat Akedemik @acedemic advisor) but luckily the lectures after that have lecturers coming in.What a bad day, on our first day, we were ask on what is the thing that the lecturers detached from which aircraft and ask us what is the thins and the function, no one can answer his question and all just give their lucky strike, after all, it’s OBE system….to make it worse our last lectures, we are given a project to make… WTH, on the first day lagi tu…darn…no complaint..have to do as well to get my 50 marks for the project works. My group was assigned to do research on electric motor. Aduh….nvm lah,still can survive.
Oh ya, by the way, our course has less girls and there are only 4 of them as compared to 19 guys…(so there is only 24 ppl taking Aerospace Engineering in UPM)….guess what, out of that number, we have one international lady from Iran who pursue her EAS(Engineering in Aerospace) here.

P/s: I have joined the equestrian club for my gerko…so I will be riding a horse soon…hehe… will have a good experience soon…..
I'm curently online at my faculty ,in the class some more..hehe

No comments: